Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tuesday Tribute: Brandon

I have often said, that if I were married to anyone other than my husband, they would more than likely be buried somewhere under the house by now. (I wish I could tell you I was totally joking about that.)

Brandon and I have been together for nearly 11 years now. In 2 months we celebrate our 7 year wedding anniversary. I can honestly tell you, that when I look back at how much I loved him the day we got married, (and it was CRAZY LOVE), it looks like an elementary school Valentine's party, compared to the love I have for him now. I am so honored and so blessed to be his wife...it's what I like to call an embarrassment of riches. What makes him so special? The reasons are countless, and in many ways, I don't even know how to express them all, but let me see if I can capture the awesomeness that is my husband in just a few of them.

First and foremost, he is humble. This particular aspect covers so much ground in the success of our family, because it makes way for growth. Our marriage has grown and deepened and rooted down in ways that are rare, in this day and age. He always attributes the success of our relationship to me, but what he doesn't know, is that I'm built for marriage. Relationships are like breathing to me. It takes no special measures for me, because I'm a woman...most of us are wired that way. Brandon is simply willing...to make changes, to stick with me while I make changes, and to measure his success as a man, by how solid his marriage and family are. He is selfless and kind, and he loves us more than anything in this life.

He is brilliant. There is such a security knowing that, when faced with any situation, my husband will be able to work through it, do any job he's faced with, and do it well. Don't tell him I told you, but he's WAY smarter than me;)

He is in love with his son. We were given a son in a VERY unorthodox way. We weren't expecting him, we didn't have any idea he was coming...we just woke up one day, and BAM!...we went to bed that night as parents. Our adoption was very difficult on me, emotionally and mentally. The first few days were a practice in literally keeping myself from being completely consumed with panic. I was like a deer in headlights, and out of fear, held the whole experience at a proverbial arm's length. Not Brandon...from the moment that our little boy landed in our home, he was his dad. He embraced him with a complete peace, a complete heart, and his whole self. He stayed calm and steady, and NEVER lost faith for a minute. From day one, he was the very picture of what a father is supposed to be...the spine, the foundation...the rock. He held us both in his big, capable arms, and led the way to our family. Even as I write this, I am realizing that, without him there, I would have completely fallen apart. Now, 3 years later, there is nothing that moves him more than seeing our son grown, than experiencing a new day with him.

He is my best friend. I don't say that lightly. He is the brightest spot on the canvas of my life. Several friends have told me they wish they could clone him, and I think the reason for that is, that he is such a friend to me. He is honest with me, he roots for me, and nothing ever seems real to me, unless I've talked to him about it. It doesn't even really matter if he says anything...as long as he's the one listening, I can make sense of anything.

After all these years, he still makes my stomach drop. I am completely at home when he is with me...no matter where we are. I won't bore you with all the gory details, but I am most certain that when we are old and gray, (he, significantly older than me;), every time I see his bicep flex...I'm gonna swoon:)

In all seriousness, I will wonder every day for the rest of my life what I did to deserve the man that is my husband. I am so grateful to have a man who loves me every day, the way that Christ intended, and that he is who I want to spend every minute, of every day of my life with.
He's my lobster:)

1 comment:

  1. Well crap. This is where I am supposed to say something great in reply. Something gracious, witty, and romantic. I feel like I do when Aleisha hands me a greeting card to sign where she had just scribed a perfectly crafted piece of heartfelt goo that the recipient really needed to hear right at that moment. She truly has many gifts, and LOVE is her biggest.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails